ok, final world cup thoughts.... fuck.

i'd go ahead and say that 50-70% of my complete mental capacity has been spent on the world cup these past few days. holy. fuckin. hell. here are my final thoughts, and then i'm going to smoke a big ass joint and chillllll the fuck out. or something like that. que estresanteeee

i don't have a problem being conservative with my group picks this tournament, conservative is to say picking nearly all the European teams you would expect out of each group to progress to the second round, with the exception of Chile over Switzerland and Cameroon over Denmark.

A - Mexico, France
B - Argentina, Nigeria
C - England, USA
D - Germany, Australia
E - Netherlands, Cameroon
F - Italy, Slovakia
G - Brazil, Portugal
H - Spain, Chile

I wouldn't consider Nigeria a surprising pick over Greece, mainly because they're much bigger and it's.... in Africa. Which is actually my primary reason for picking the much smaller Cameroon to slip past the Danes. I feel like the speed of Chile and the way they almost took South American qualifying gives them the push over Switzerland. The players from both teams don't have a significant difference in big league experience in Europe or in South America, and perhaps most of the Chileans playing in a more rugged Chile puts them past the Swiss in the South African climate.

I don't like saying this, but I feel like soccer at an international has hit a pretty big hault in terms of surprising countries making big jumps in the tables over the past year and half. A lot of the countries (especially in Europe) sealed a spot in the Cup quite a while ago and didn't play many of the teams that could possibly make a move or gain "big name" experience, as far as that terms extends in the realm of national squads. So, 1-15 has remained quite steady, the solid stay solid, the hungry teams stay hungry.... and I think it would be hard for a Uruguay, Greece, Slovenia, Serbia, Ghana (but mostly because of Essien being out), Denmark, Japan, Ivory Coast (Drogba's out ... sorry) or Switzerland to penetrate their eliteness. Their experience they solidified a while ago with their national sides, along with their true footballing skills being readily tested and improved at the club level, will keep France, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Spain, the Netheralnds and Argentina deep in the hunt. I just feel like that for some reason. The African teams might have a push, but I feel like Europe and Sudamérica take this one. My dark-horse (that's to say, they will make it all the way to the Semifinals): México. El Tri is just..... the shit right now. ¡Sí, se puede! ¡Sí, se puede!

Quarterfinals
Mexico v England
Netherlands v Brazil
Germany v Argentina
Italy v Spain

Semifinals
Mexico v Netherlands
Argentina v Spain

Finals
Netherlands v Argentina

This is where I think my optimism* my succede logic. I really don't want to see same ol story of the World Cup to be told, as I have Germany, Italy, and Brazil all falling in the same round. I don't even want to look up if this has happened, I just know it hasn't (being that only the cups of 1930 & 1978 have not featured one of these three teams). It might be too ridiculous to even imagine. Plus, I mean, Spain and the Netherlands are the guys who just can't ever do it. This might be where the shit hits the fan for my bracket, but I'd rather be a shat on optimist than settle with a boring truth that just might happen... again ... at least right now in my life, lol. But fuck it, I want what I want with fútbol right now, damnit!!


(ha, buttfuck)


and the winners

ARGENTINNNAAAAAA!!! ...... uh-oh, optimism takes over realism again. fuck!!

les digo, M & M lo harán! ¡adelante los gauchos!











*In my other two brackets (on ESPN), my optimism results in Dutch & Spanish victories. Come on, guys... someone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment