end of Lima, off to the real Perú!!

I have to admit that the last week and a half I was in Lima, I was just ready to get out of the city. My roommates were slowly going their separate ways, my classes didn't seem as interesting anymore (although still helpful), I already went to the discotecas/saw the nightlife I wanted to and I felt like I had already seen all that would interest me of the city. I realized that, of the 43 districts, there were only 9 or 10 that had something worth it: good food to eat, cool ruins, a pretty beach or a cool market. The rest of the city was just something I would maybe wanna drive by to see (and honestly, probably not because the edges of the city exhibit the most poverty, construction & social disorganization... Or rather just no sign of anyone being able to give a shit and do something about where they live). So, a few goodbyes and I was off with the tentative plan of: Arequipa --> Puno --> Cuzco --> Lima --> Home :-)

After quite a luxurious 17 hour overnight bus ride, I have arrived in Arequipa. The bus had first class airline size seats, TVs, blankets & pillows, plus a not so bad dinner and breakfast. And as always, ridiculously cheap ($30).

I looked into hostels online before I got here, but as there is no way to book things online here, I just kinda showed up and asked for a room. Meeting other travellers who have been in South America for at least six months, they all pretty much just wing it. They have a general final destination, but just kinda go to the bus plaza, buy a ticket somewhere, then just walk around the new city looking for a place to stay... And it works! I actually do like this sort of freelance system as compared to European travel, but with so many natural hazards and lack of organization and correspondence between travel companies here, I could see it getting frustrating at times. For now, I dig it (let's see where I'm at when my plane takes off in 10 days...)

Might I just say that I loooove Arequipa. It is Peru's second biggest city, but by a huge margin (Lima - 8,000,000; Arequipa - just under 1.000.000). It's beautiful and situated between peaks higher than 14,000 feet, navegatable, lovely people, not dirty, super cheap taxis (never more than $2) & soooo many things to do outdoors and see. In 2 days, I've went river rafting, seen the world's deepest canyon (Colca), visited a perfectly preserved Inca girl discovered a few years ago in the ice-capped mountains (Juanita) & seen the last pre-Incan cemetary exisiting; PLUS I've seen llamas, alpacas, vicuñas (who, when males fight, they just try and bite each other in the balls!), some weird ass pigs, hawks, eagles, and condors (yes, CONDORS!). Also, the altipano, as in the southeastern part of Peru that is a couple thousand meter high plateau, reminds me of central washington: very dry, rugged, some cacti and scarce vegatation, with ur occasional Columbia River Valley type agricultural areas scattered about. 

So I'll be uploading pics on the 26th, as I am computerless on this little voyage. I'm super excited for Lago Titicaca and Cuzco to come, there's just so much in this country to see. I do feel, though, (as a Seattlelite from Capitol Hill named Pete I just met at the Cruz del Condor put it so well) "dripping with wealth" when I walk among the indigenous (and even other Peruvians sometimes) folk, as they sell there 30 cent necklaces, walk their napsacks of hay for miles or just look at the ground with their hands out, praying in Quechua and Spanish for someone to drop in coin their way. I'm sure everyone feels this to some extent when they leave their more fortunate country and visit others that are struggling (like the Swiss travelling Europe right now? lol), but I can't help but mention it. A positive aspect is that there exists a tourist industry at all, which is now one of the biggest in Peru, and that I'm contributing to that.      

No comments:

Post a Comment