San Pedro, Belize

(all of my Belize fotos are here)

My bus from Tikal took me right to Belize City (which I found out is not the capital), and from there I took a boat straight to San Pedro Cay (also known as a key, i.e. Florida keys). I got right off the boat and into a taxi which took me to a hostel I had looked up earlier. The middle-aged British owner saw my bags and stumbled over to me, asking if I needed a room. He smelled like vodka, but seemed to be able to get me a key easily enough, so I shrugged my shoulders and went to my room. The next morning was a delight. The water was stunnin & the sun was a shinin... it was a paradise!!

layerssolo sail

To summarize, my whole time in Belize was either at the beach, walking around the town, or in a bar. I met some cool people the first night in this beachside pub, and it was that type of vibe where everyone shares with everyone. I'd buy a drink for everyone, then them for me, then we'd share... other things...., then we'd play each other's music. I really enjoyed it.

The town was full of cool beach town type signs, the type you would only find in a place like this.

gift shopsalty dog
pelican internetdixie's shakes :-p yum!

When I wasn't basking or reading philosophy, I was trying to understand just what the hell the locals were saying. They can all speak & understand English, but they have to slow down from their normal pace when they communicate with foreigners. Their kriol is so fascinating. A native English speaker can catch every 7th or 10th word, and, in the right context, can catch whole phrases, but it's a serious diversion from the English norm. It is in its own right a language, based mostly on English, and has a really cool rhythm to it; honestly, though, they might as well have been speaking Russian most of the time. They would laugh or yell when I thought the opposite should have been occurring, but a few months being surrounded by it and it would be possible to speak with them, me thinks...

Anyways, even though it was a bit expensive (as in comparable or more than American prices), it was beautiful, the water was perfect, and I would go back in an instant.

contrasttranquilo
Goal!that lazy pic again ;-)

I came to find out the drunkass hostel owner also owned the bar right below the hostel, & was consistently the loudest & most arrogant drunkard in the place.... well, he owned it! He commented on Belize being British Honduras, basically as offensive as calling the USA the "colonies", so I didn't like him at all. He also because called me a rich prick because I said I was from Seattle (I tried Spokane, he had no clue). In the end, his drunken haze & dickhead antics cost him, as the only money I gave him was for the first night, and I ended up staying for 4! See how rich I am, dude?!?! hahahahaa.

Care for a drink!??! See you there!

bar at the end of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment